Monday, May 5, 2008

Gutom Lang










Although I insist my childhood was happy one, it was shot through with unremitting poverty. My mom had great big ideas. She always had a yearning that someday we'll have a better house and things will get better. My mom and dad wanted to rise above the past and break the chain of financial struggle that they have from both of the family they came from - and always vowed to send us to a "good school" - but there were simply wasn't money. My dad was struggling just to put food on the table and I remember mom selling christmass decors and stuffed toys to help at that time.



We live in a small house made of a scarp plywood donated to us by neighbors, and some galvanized iron roofs that came from nowhere during typhoons. I remember mother would save 6 pesos from me father's salary when he went to Saudi Arabia to work as a driver. She saves that 6 pesos every payout and buys a brick one by one I was five years old and sometimes I imagine how many PomPoms snack food is that going to be from Manang Beth's sari-sari strore that time. As the years past, bit by bit our house started to look like a real one. In 1995 we have a 150 sq meter of house made of real roof and brick walls with proper windows too. We spent those years as a family, bouncing along the poverty line. That experience still haunts me today and drives me on.




gutom lang toh... ^_^


Science museum @ exibition road

6 comments:

Frankie Calcana said...

Kuya! Ibang level ka na, pamuseum-museum na lang! Oh, well, I'm happy naman with my new job. Went back to writing!

Miss ko na mga ex-colleagues natin! Si Art di pa binabalik yung book ko. Di ko na rin siya makontak! Nagwowork ka jan? Kala ko ba aral ka tapos magsi-shift ka sa fashion design? Ha? Ha?

Nice outfit, by the way! I love the pants! Skinny jeans ba yan? O skinny chinos? You still look good kuya, though you're kinda payat na! Ingat lagi! Ilang years ka ba dyan ha? What's your email nga pala, para dun na lang tayo mag-storytelling time!

Frankie Calcana said...

Ang sad naman ng kwento na ito. Hemingways, you should be grateful because your parents raised you well! And for sure, your parents are so proud, proud, proud from what you've become. Stay humble kuya!:)

NOMS said...

hehehe, ty po sa comment...

its been a while since my last blog but im back...

im super streched to my scheds.
i had to transfer 3 to a new flat but everything is going well.

miss ko na rin kau lahat, kay emong may kontak pa kami sa multiply. pero ung iba wala na, miss ko na si ann.

Abou said...

umusyoso lang ako sa mga alaala ni batman he he

Anonymous said...

Inspiring naman pala ang buhay ni batman.

Anonymous said...

[url=http://www.drawingboard.org/blogs/?u=videosealden8]Alive Video Converter 3.1.6.9[/url] [url=http://www.blogsplosion.com/?u=videoseashlynn1]Invelos DVD Profiler 3.1.1.1171[/url]
Magic DVD Ripper 5.2.1 1Click DVD Copy Pro 3.1.2.0
http://www.answerbag.com/profile/1238177 RZ WMV to DVD Converter
[url=http://www.drawingboard.org/blogs/?u=videoseaaron6]Magic DVD Creator 8.0.5.22[/url] [url=http://citizenblogs.com/?u=videosearnie1]Super Simplified Universal Player EncoderRenderer[/url]
Magic iPod Video Converter 7.9.4.3 A-Z Video Converter Ultimate Edition 7.79
http://lecturer.elektrounesa.org/?u=videosealesha6 FFP - Free FLV Player
Fast Video Indexer 1.07
my icq:858499940385